Monday, September 15, 2008
























Does Common Sense Play It’s Part in the Beautiful Game?


The short answer would be no.

My friend les, who lives in oz, once convinced me that 5-a-side was a triumph of mathematics, geometry & logic. It was all about maximising the use of speed & space. Rapid passing of the ball, no physical contact, no dribbling, no tackling.

As my 5-a-side season is about to start, how I wish my team mates would engage in some of the above concepts.

Is there something wrong with the Scottish psyche? I heard yesterday, that one of my team mates would continue to play this season, although he is on the waiting list for 2 hip & 2 knee replacements. He is much younger than me & because of his age, they are going to just treat him with morphine.

My own aches & pains have continued over the damp summer into an even damper autumn.

I met some of my old Monday night crew (in the days when I could play more than 1 game per week!) & that team is riddled with broken this & that, strained this & that, but they all still turn up as expected every week.

Normal people would have given up the ghost years ago or would have shifted their passion to bowls.

What creates this crazy behaviour? Is it the constant pressure to feel young? To still perform on the park? Perhaps it is, what it is for me i.e. that feeling of being totally alive in that moment & of being here now!

If only this passion for the game carried on, onto the park, when salaried players are involved.

No comments: