Sunday, August 12, 2007





On Half-Remarkable Co-incidences










If you are unsure of whether to slit your wrists or not, might I suggest you sit & watch Mike Leigh’s brilliant movie from 2002: ‘All or Nothing’. It stars if that is the term, many of his stalwart actors including Timothy Spall.



If you can stand the tragedy in his films, this one that I watched last night was totally riveting but very, very depressing at times.

However, no matter how awful your life may be at this moment in time, get yourself into this movie & your troubles will fade into insignificance.

Coincidentally, I had just obtained ‘All or nothing at all’ at the same time as I was watching this movie. This is one of the many rare albums I have by Yo Ho Wa 13.

While I was typing this I was listening to Arcesi’s ‘Reachin’ from 1968. I had to keep stopping as I couldn’t believe my ears. If you like Scott Walker & The Associates, then you must obtain this madness. A review follows:

Insane loungepsych blowout by a middleaged crooner who dropped acid in the 1960s and decided to make a psychedelic (well, sort of) LP with mindboggling results. For a professional vocalist he sings remarkably bad, though this doesn't stop him from filling every line with overwraught passion. The music varies between orchestrated extravaganzas and more rockin sounds including some fuzz - the songs aren't half-bad actually and the lyrics appropriately OTT, though it takes several plays to get past his voice. Imagine Del Shannon's "Charles Westover" LP with Father Yod on vocals and you're halfway there. Recently a 45 on Alpha with a non-LP track has been found. [PL]

Johnny Arcesi was a 1940s big band singer in the northeast. In his 50s, he moved to Los Angeles, discovered LSD and recorded this otherworldly acid lounge real people LP with Doorsy organ and his sincere crooning way out front. A must for real people aficianados, everyone else duck and cover your ears! [RM]
(From Acid Archives)

Writers Note: I am a real people person! Peace.

No comments: