Tuesday, February 07, 2006

What floats my boat these days from a musical standpoint?

In the late 60s early 70s, who was organised enough to realise that there was greater music around than tinny trannies emitting tamla or mod tunes that would eventually drift into a mish mash of psychedelia. Even among this psychedelia we were limited to what soared out our transistor radios into the ether. I never heard the Red Crayola or the 13th Floor Elevators when I was a teenager, I listened to Radio Luxembourg, The Peel shows & anything else bringing this new psychedelia to a hungry audience.

I should have listened to the Real Soul of James Brown etc…instead of Motown. I didnt know! Who could guess that Krautrock would have such an appeal to me now?
An early fan of jazz, but one who quickly knew what he liked & with a disdain for what was ordinary. I never had the money during those tender years to buy the black, spiritual esp/verve/blue note titles. I knew there was something special about the radical champions of a kind of British jazz that is impossible to find nowadays under the radar……..e.g. Michael Garrick & all those guys featured on the superb Jazz Britania series. Big up Gilles Peterson for his push in this area as well as his grip on afro funk & brazilian grooves.
to be continued……….

No comments: