Sunday, June 01, 2008
















































The Last Whole Earth Catalog

I am remembering how we used to pour over this design for living the good life, back in the day.

Naturally, I still have a copy, plus an almost complete library of crucial books from the 50s to the 70s. I am sure I am not alone in this regard!

I really should go back & re-read Gurney Norman’s ‘Divine Right’s Trip’ from the LWEC, where it was extracted into the margins (apparently to advertise & market the tools etc………mentioned in the text………I did not know this at the time!).

As far as I know Gurney Norman’s book has never been published in the UK although it is still in print in the USA. He is certainly not a prolific author. The only other title I can find is called ‘Kinfolks’ about the people around in Kentucky, where he is working as a Professor of Literature.

‘The surest test that a man is sane, is if he accepts life whole, as it is’ (Tao)

Norman hints that the reason why people were so unhappy was due to the fact, that they keep moving & never plant any roots. There may be something in that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spoke with Gurney recently about that book (DRT.) Apparently, it was published in the last issue of TWC. Gurney said that it came about as the design team sat around a table and tossed out ideas. He was given the job (publish a book in the issue) and they figured out how many words it would need to be, how many pages, and so on. He worked out a schedule and punched it out. I read DRT recently. Good stuff. Gurney is a poet at heart.

abeattie23 said...

Thank you for your comments.........now i really will have to re-read it from the last whole earth cat.....it is finding the time that is the issue now.......our lives are so complicated now........they were easier before.........