Wednesday, September 12, 2007




Rough Guide to the Wireless for the Over 50s

Do you need access to decent radio now that John Peel has gone? To be perfectly frank, Peel’s usefulness for me ended around 72, although I still loved him as a person, who stuck by his principles.

I spent many years in radio wilderness, after having grown up on ‘Top Gear’ & ‘The Perfumed Garden’ & I finally got back to radio through Radio 3 for jazz & classical.

Nowadays the net has created podcasts on everything & the BBC has that superb ‘listen again’ option & in essence it’s a minefield without a googlemap.

As I am running out of time to listen to what I want to hear, I have had to limit my choices. I pick up Gilles Peterson’ Radio 1 show, ‘Jazz on 3’ & naturally the ‘Freak Zone’ on Radio 6. This is all I have time for in a week. If not, I would listen to Resonance FM ( I especially miss ‘Mixing It’ dropped from Radio 3 & now on Resonance FM

No comments: