Monday, December 04, 2006



Lost

Librarians are constantly aware of the severe onslaught of information: the information overload. I mean there is so much out there to take in & even although I live far away from any of the centres of population, where life rushes past, you cannot but consider what we have gained with too much of everything.

How do we find what we really need? How much of our life would be enriched by the newest most fashionable consumer goods. Sometimes it is fine to go against the flow. I mean chance plays a big part on what paths I choose. I believe that this is directed by a higher power.

Take this moment as I write this. I am listening to the High Llamas – Retrospective, Rarities & Instrumentals. I mean who else in the world is doing the same? Anyway I discovered the band by accident & they are superb in a Beach Boys/Beatles/Les Baxter kind of way.

I have more cds to listen to now than I have time left to live. A sobering thought. Thus choice becomes important. I know what I like but sometimes you have to go outside the box.

Outside this box recently I have discovered beautiful Italian soundtracks & other soundtracks that would disappear into oblivion, without someone, probably another barmy librarian, pointing me in that direction; Comus & all the raft of new & older folk material that is worth a second life e.g. Incredible String band & Pentangle. Original psychedelia/garage & the newer versions keep me sane alongside all that 60s radical, free jazz that I am only now catching up on.

No comments: